Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

O is for Oxymoron

With a definite maybe I agreed to participate in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. Surprisingly, I've kept up so far. I'm terribly pleased. And today marks another week and another string of alphabetic posts. I'm almost exactly where I need to be and when I make this O-post, I'll be right on track.

Did you guess what I'm writing about from the intro? There are 3 examples. Okay, the title of the post makes it painfully obvious but would you have guessed anyway? Can you find the examples?

Today's writerly word is oxymoron (plural, oxymora).

Oxymoron is a phrase in which two (or more) incongruous words are used in conjunction to highlight an apparent contradiction.  When used effectively, a well placed literary oxymoron reveals a deeper truth through it's contradiction.

Shakespeare was masterful in his use of oxymora. Examples include:
  • Romeo & Juliet: sweet sorrow 
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream: tragical mirth 
  • Julius Caesar: fearful bravery

Some oxymora are so frequently used they become part of everyday language. Examples:
  • Good grief
  • Act natural
  • Found missing
  • Small crowd
  • Pretty ugly
  • Working vacation
  • Clearly misunderstood

Yeah, I love a good oxymoron because, you know, I'm a sophisticated redneck.

PS. You may find this interesting: P is for Paradox: What is the Difference Between a Paradox and an Oxymoron?


Source: Literary Terms and Definitions 

Post a Comment

0 Comments