Genre - HorrorYear Released - 2009
Running Time - 100 minutes
Rated R (for graphic brutal horror violence and grisly images throughout, some strong sexuality, graphic nudity and language)
Directed by Patrick Lussier (Dracula 2000, Ascension, & Legacy as well as The Prophecy 3 and White Noise 2)
Written by Todd Farmer (Jason X and The Messengers) and Zane Smith
*Based on the 1981 original screenplay John Beaird (Happy Birthday to Me) and Stephen Miller
Cast Includes:
Jensen Ackles (Alec from Dark Angel, C.J. from Dawson's Creek, Jason Teague from Smallville, and most recently Dean in Supernatural)
Jaime King (Sin City - and it's upcoming sequel, The Tripper, Pearl Harbor, Bullet Proof Monk)
Kerr Smith (Jack from Dawson's Creek - he is also in Final Destination)
Edi Gathegi (Laurent from Twilight)
Tom Atkins (The Fog - 1980, Escape from New York, Halloween III, Night of the Creeps)
Kevin Tighe (Frank from Roadhouse)
Megan Boone
Rating: 2 Skulls
Plot Summary:Haunted by the mining-related massacre that took place there on Valentine's Day a decade ago, Tom returns to his hometown to find some closure. But no sooner does he arrive than a pickax-wielding madman begins a new bloody killing spree. Now, many suspect that the murderous miner has returned to claim his final victims - including Tom.
Review:
I know that I am going to get flak from this one [what with my recent 5 Skull rating of The Unborn and all, but I would take that movie over this one, any day!]
To be fair though, I was never a fan of the original. In fact, I was actually excited over this re-make, thinking that perhaps they could turn a lack-luster film into a better version. Alas, I was wrong.
Granted, there were some great kills in this one, and the 3-D effects were top-notch [in fact, that is the only reason to see this film in the theatre] however, the story was chock full of unbelievability and just plain dull. [and I'm not even going to mention the so cliche ending!]
The only way that I would recommend this film is to see it in 3-D, in the theatre.
If your theatre isn't showing it in 3-D, then don't waste your money, like I did - I went out to the special 10:00pm show tonight, braving -12 degree weather I might add [remember, I'm from Florida!] and blew $12.00 [yes, I wasn't too happy that the local theatre charged extra for 3-D] :-(
Here's the trailer:
Even though I didn't like this one, like I said, it had some decent kills [even if they were CGI]
For the record, my favorite kill was the death by shovel, and my favorite 3-D moment was when the lower half of a jaw bone was ripped off and thrown "my way" [this included a nice spray of 3-D blood with it] :-)
Jason

0 Comments