I lucked out to find Ray himself behind the counter. He was looking sprightly, busy frying up some burgers for a well-heeled couple. Mixing a perfect, frothy egg cream for me, he said he was feeling well and recalled the time Hot Dog slammed a cellar door on his head.
The kindly couple whispered to each other, "I think this guy must be someone special around here," as they pulled bills from their Louis Vuitton wallets to pay for their Obama fries and burgers.
(*Last night was also Ray's birthday party, complete with burlesque dancer--no wonder he was feeling sprightly!)
Ray is seriously working the Obama angle--selling Obama socks, fries, burgers, and these air-brushy looking t-shirts. The hook seems to successfully bring in customers. While I was there, more than one touristy type came in to giddily ask, "What are Obama fries?"
They're fries, regular fries, Ray explained. Just like his Obama socks are regular, white sweatsocks (selling the sizzle, Ray has written "OBAMA" in red Magic Marker on their packages).
"Aww," the touristy type said, disillusioned by the reality of Obama fries, "Nothing special, huh?"
0 Comments