Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Light Duty

Last night at the Christmas Eve service, we were greeters and candle passer-outers. The service combined both our congregations, so there were lots of unfamiliar faces. One guy immediately asked where the bathroom was. I showed him, and we went back to handing out candles.

Eventually everybody sat down, and M and I peered through the windows, watching the proceedings start up before going in to join them. The guy reappears.

"So, what's going on here?"

He was a black guy, a little under six feet, broad shouldered, smelled like cigarettes. He had a gray sweatshirt with red embroidery that looked sharp and abstract. I couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be something. I had no idea he didn't belong until he asked that bizarro question.

I'm sure there are people in the world who don't know what a Christmas Eve service is. It just never occurred to me that I might meet one of them.

"It's a... well, it's a Christmas Eve service...."

Expectant eyes. "What's going to happen?"

"Well, it's a Brethren in Christ church, which is from the same tradition as the Mennonites or the Amish... there will be readings from the Bible... about the birth of Jesus... you're familiar with the Bible? I don't want to treat you like you're dumb...." Nervous laughter. "So, um... the pastor, Rod White, will speak, and probably some other people too. We'll sing carols, and there will be readings from the Bible about Jesus' birth... nothing will be expected of you. We'll... the audience... just, you know, listen."

"What time is it? I've got to catch the shuttle to the El at a quarter to midnight."

"It's 11:00 now," I said.

"You can leave whenever you want," Meredith offered helpfully.

"Feel free to go in, leave whenever you want," I parroted. "You can leave out this door. We've got it closed right now because people are loud when they come up the stairs, but you can use it to leave. If you need."

He went in and sat down in the back row. We finished up and followed. Less than 10 minutes later, when we all stood up to sing, he's out the door.

"Thanks for coming," I said from among the singing voices. He didn't acknowledge that I spoke.

The guy just wanted to use the bathroom and sit down for a few minutes. I guess he thought he had to pay for it by sitting through some church. I wanted to say to him, "Thanks for coming at all. I don't care if you're here just to use the bathroom and get out of the cold. Thanks for joining us even for a few minutes here at the end of the year, on the night that we make a point to thank God for not leaving us all out in the cold. I'm glad we could be here for you."

That's the church I want to be a part of; that's the God I want to worship. The one who doesn't care why you're here, and is okay with you as you edge toward the door.

A church, a deity, who welcomes you, even if you're just using us. It's okay.
You don't have to be separate any more -- God showed up.

Come in from the cold. Merry Christmas.

Post a Comment

0 Comments